« December 2004 | Main | February 2005 »

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Beef jerky

Ever since our roadtrip last weekend, I've become a total beef jerky junky. The jerky that we got over in Alien Fresh Jerky was the bomb. Now I'm thinking of getting a beef jerky cookbook and a dehydrator. It's gotta be cheaper to make it yourself.

01:35 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Monday, January 10, 2005

Stormy weather

This was how it looked for most of our drive back to Las Vegas yesterday. It finally stopped raining once we got to Barstow.


When we finally arrived in Baker, we needed to gas up. We managed to stop in Alien Fresh Jerky to pick up some jerky. There was also a car parked outside filled with alien drivers:


We were kinda hungry so we decided to try out The Mad Greek. Gregg and Kim always stop by there to eat on the way into Vegas and they keep saying how good it was. About 15 miles outside of Baker, there are billboards for The Mad Greek that advertise their gyros and strawberry milkshakes. I already knew what I was going to order. Needless to say, the food was very good, but it certainly wasn't cheap. Hey, what do you expect from Baker? Gas was about $2.60/gallon...'nuff said...

12:25 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Rock & Roll Taco


Yes...those are panties hanging at the top.

11:55 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Party bus


Walt's friend, Adrienne, turned 50. To celebrate the milestone birthday, she put together a trip to Mexico for a bunch of friends. She chartered a party bus that took us into Puerto Nuevo for lobster and margaritas. As usual, the food was excellent. Margaritas are ALWAYS done right in Mexico. They make it sooo good that you can't even taste the alcohol in it. Of course, when that happens, you're more inclined on drinking more and fast, until it totally hits you like a ton of bricks. I was careful not to fall into that! Hah! The lobster was so good that we forgot to take a picture of it. But trust me, it was really good.

After that, we went to Las Rocas to catch the sunset. Since it was really overcast, we didn't get to see the sun. I still loved watching the surf crash into the rocks as the tide came in.

When it got dark, we boarded the bus again and headed on over to Rosarito. We walked around and did some shopping. I had to get my mandatory Kahlua and Mexican vanilla. After that, we went on over to the Rock & Roll Taco and chilled with more good food, drinks, and music.

We headed back to San Diego after that. I was amazed at how fast we got through the border check. I guess since we were on a bus, there was a special line just for that. We ended up getting off and walked through customs. Usually by car, it would be about at least a 90 minute wait.

The party bus certainly lived up to its name. We were doing jello shooters, various shots, wine, beer, etc. There was also music pumping, so there was a lot of dancing too. Some of the photos may seem odd...but after all...it is a party bus!

11:30 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Friday, January 07, 2005

2005 CES


One of the nice thing about living in Las Vegas is the slew of tradeshows that come into town. After many years of wanting to attend, we finally got to go to CES.

It was certainly eye candy for geeks and we certainly had a lot of fun. We even had a free mini concert with Cheap Trick. We got to play with a lot of new gadgets coming out. We were really intrigued with the Canon display. We're in the market for a new printer and I am totally digging the new photo printers. One thing that CES totally lacked was Apple products. I guess that's why there's Macworld.

Walt took the day off, so we only had today to go. CES runs through this weekend, but we'll be going to Mexico tomorrow.

We'll have to try and plan it better next year. We'll spend a weekend at CES and then fly on up to San Francisco for Macworld the following week.

10:39 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Snow in Las Vegas!


There's a huge storm front in SoCal, so that means we're getting the rain that they've been getting. But since it's been pretty cold lately, we got snow instead. While snow on Mount Charleston isn't anything unusual, it certainly is rare here in the valley.

11:32 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year


Well...another year has come and gone. Funny how much has happened in the past year and it's amazing how fast time just flies. One of the major changes for us is moving from San Diego to Las Vegas. There are things that I do totally miss about San Diego, but we do feel that moving to Las Vegas is a good move for us. For one thing, we're not renting anymore! With the price of housing going through the roof in San Diego, it's a wonder how anyone can afford a house these days, especially a first time home buyer. I've also worked just strictly freelance on a full time basis. While I do like the freedom of having a very flexible schedule, the pay isn't. What I do love is being able to travel a lot more than I have in the past. No more having to juggle my vacation and sick days.

We cooked yesterday. We made the turkey, stuffing, and veggies from our Thanksgiving dinner. My MIL made black eye peas and macaroni salad. I made my signature pineapple cheesecake the night before last.

After dinner, Walt and I just stayed in and took it easy. I was too tired to want to go out to do any type of festivities. I only had wine this evening. I certainly learned my lesson with Appletinis and the aftermath of having 6 in one evening.

To this day, I still can't bring myself to drink another one of those.

It's like sushi. I totally swore off sushi when I got violently sick after eating some really bad salmon roe sushi. That was almost 10 years ago (gasp...has it been that long?). I remember taking a training class during the 2nd shift and us going out for Japanese food for dinner. Within 20 minutes after we got back to class, I felt my stomach getting really queasy and the vomit making it's way up to my throat. I ran and barely made it to the bathroom.

I also remember the horrible cab ride going home that night. I needed fresh air to keep me from vomiting again. It was 20 degrees outside and the cab driver was bitching at me to roll up my windows. I told him that if he wanted a puke free cab, sitting in a cold cab is a small price to pay. When he dropped me off at my apartment, I was living on the 2nd floor of a walk up at the time.

I remember trudging up the stairs and I felt my stomach getting sick again and I was sweating! I knew I had to puke again. As soon as I opened my apartment door, I started taking off my winter wear and just leaving a trail of clothes behind me since that bathroom was at the end of a very long hallway. I had spent that night and the next day totally sick to my stomach and with a really bad fever.

I'm starting to snap out of it and may consider eating sushi again. I don't think I can bring myself to eating salmon roe or any kind of roe ever again.

09:46 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack